With the frames i wanted to continue with bronze as its the colour the strength but fluidity from the metal which is what i want. SO i decided to use the tig welding rods made of of bronze for the frames. i know that in the future these rods would not be strong enough for a proper frame but to represent my designs i thought they would be a good example.
i started to spot weld thin wire which created some good shapes but it was too think to support anything and get a good ideas if my designs would work. I also started to test precious metal clay, in sunny bronze from Prometheus. Which was interesting to work with a clay that when heated leaves a bronze deposit but it was very expensive and was very difficult to make a frame like structure as when it is wet it very flexible. Given more time and more experimenting time i could maybe make it would, but for now i would prefer to continue with metal rods.
I was planning of tig welding these to the joins would all be of the same material. However, as its is the depositing material even on the lowest setting the tig was just heating and melting all the product even the frames. this was not the best method.
Whilst i was down in the work shop i decided to MIG weld a mild steel frame. It came to my attention that the 4mm rods were to thick and bulky. I did not think it would be delicate looking to not over power the ceramic bowls. i also realised how my initial ideas of elevating the pots in a scale like design would work.
Going back to the bronze rods i tested soldering them, this worked although the kilns were fairly obvious. Silver soldering turned out to be very difficult and i could not manage to join the wires together very well. Continuing with soldering the first example was just to get a gist of how resistant wire would work around a vessel. i then unfortunately dropped the vessel but the cracks behind the frames added a wabi-sabi feel to the piece. It looks very similar to scaffolding which does bring in the contrast of urban structures and traditional throwing especially with wabi-sabi involved.
Moving on from this i started to design structures that were similar to the original bowl. i made more slip cast and trimmed the bowls down making them smaller, to which i replicated the shapes with the interception in frames form.
I still love the shape of the angle intercepting but i don’t feel this design is moving on from the bowl, i wanted to push the shapes and forms and continue of from the bowl project. I started deigning around the thrown bowls i had made, experimenting with elevating them.
I think the elevation works on this design, as it makes the pot seem less bottom heavy and a bit more interesting. the triangular bottom leading to the hexagon around the width of a bowl is not towards the bowl as it to was a hexagon. However the shapes create a simple and very geometric pattern.
This is the preferred style of frame for the shape pots i had.
I created two test glazes one a pinky mauve that came out grey brown with odd pale pink streaks. i did not like this glazes its was muddy and looks sickly. The other glaze was supposed to be a dark green with red speckles but came out red but dark speckles.
Unfortunately the flat bottomed pots loses the point and contrast of the frames to the pot. The glaze mixed with the frames creates an oriental feel from the warm reds and golds. it is a theme that i would like to potentially explore further. As a well finished model of would i could potentially make I think it a s good progression from the bowl. it helped me define my work to home war and table wear, and that mixing of materials is the right choice. whether it is metal and ceramic or even metal and glass re mains to be seen through experimentation and research but i am happy to continue with this line of work. this design has taught me that slip cast would be more appropriate to capture the shapes and themes that i have been using up till this point, although i am glad to have used throwing and expand my kiln and ceramic knowledge.