I choose these particular patterned tiles over other designs because they showed the range of what are considered successful and unsuccessful pewter and ceramic tiles. The straight lines allowed the pewter better fluidity through the tile ass there were open recceses for the metal to run. However they didn’t fill the available space creating over flows and patters that although are not what i wanted show an element of uncontrollability and how it will go where it wants and it can be very beautiful.
The other tiles show how the tiles created a negative space for the pewter so some of the detailing and patterns are hidden within the ceramic tile. Although the tiles didnt produce the forms i was expecting i was pleasantly surprised by the range of outcomes. However i dont think the process of pouring the pewter and pressing it in to the tile is the most effective method for combing metal and ceramic.
The original plan was to create a second mould around the slip then pour the metal in to the mould when it should sit within the concaved marks of the cup. This was apparently not am ideal plan and had Martin Burnell suggest other solutions and plans. Pouring metal over them of trying to replicate the shapes did not work. instead i decided to glaze them and show the potential of the ceramic vessels and how far i had got in the process. Given more time i would have like to test the mould idea whether it would succeed or not. I also choose a vibrant blue glaze to to add contrast to the neutral tone of my display. As most things are pewter coloured a bisque ware due to time constraints i need to add something that would inject some colour. During the glazing process i added wax resist to the grooves keeping them white. However in my haste i forgot to wipe the glaze from the wax resist. This produced solidified glaze bubbled that gave the grooves a bubbly texture. On one vessel i filled the space with resin dulling the textual effect but enhancing the shiny glaze. Where i will leave the second vessel un-glazed to show the true texture left from glazing. Although i didnt manage to incorporate metal in to these two objects i did not want to just leave them behind, although the process didn’t work i still started it and had a lot of trial and error with craving from the water content allowing it to be too soft to crave or to brittle as i found i cracked a few during the carving process. I feel they are an important part of the process and am happy to display them for the progressive project.
I wanted to show a different side of metal and ceramic. Not every experiment or idea has to involve pouring metal, wire can also be effective and give a beautiful aesthetic. I consider it a simpler technique and look as it only involved manipulating the wire around the ceramic vessel. I outsourced the ceramic vessels from Bert as my throwing skills and not adequate i wanted a good canvas to demonstration the wire handle idea. I feel if i had thrown my own vessels they could potentially distract from the wire and would also be more difficult to fit the handle to an irregular object. I have also developed an allergic reaction to most things in the glaze room, the white crackle that off sets the copper wire has a high level of irritation to the skin, matt the technician advised i had assistance for glazing as he did not want me touching the glaze. I had a fair amount of assistance for this object but the design, idea and wire work was all my own doing. It has also helped me understand that in the future i may not be able to every process by myself and delegating or seeking assistance is not a bad thing for a maker.