Finger prints 

My Bams! Design involved alot of new techniques and process that took time to learn, get inductions for a book equipment. During this process of learning rhino and how 3D printing works i decided to focus on the fingerprints. The first hurdle I came across was how to get clear finger prints. I tried ink from stamps and pens before i thought about going to the paper print studio, where there was non drying black ink… that had dried. Tom topped the roller up with some ink and i was able to get clear prints. I then asked 11 makers to come down to the studio and create some finger prints for me.


I scanned these prints at 600dpi which is the highest the scanners at the uni go. I took this scan down to craig the technical demonstrates in the soft modelling room. He helped me scan and slightly clean up the images. As a tester i laser cut/etched in to an acrylic circle. IT came out very well, it cut a very defined and clear finger print. Hower it was 3 times the size of an actual finger print. For my medal i want to have the prints at a realistic scale. AS they are representing makers i want them to actually look like finger prints. 


The photocopier scan wasn’t at a high enough resolution to cut the finger prints on a realistic scale. SO after a day of running around the whole campus looking for a high resolution. I managed to get the actual prints home where my grandfarther scanned them at 1200dpi. With this new scans i put the best prints on illustrator an laser etched them. They were okay on the correct scale but the lines were to close together. ALthough you can tell they are fingerprints and individual theres not as much detail as i would have liked. 


I went and saw Charlie the tech dem of interior architecture where she helped clean up the prints on illustrator making it clearer for the laser cutter to etch the prints. I also changed the settings on the laser cutter so it would etch deeper and take out any large chunks of black areas emphasising the detail lines of the finger. 

After i was happy with the etching of the finger prints and i had perfected the maquette of the actual madeal, and how it would move. I laser cutt accrylic versions of of the medal in accrycli because it was the easiest and really the only possibvmle way of getting the finger prints on to the medal, where i created a silicone mould. 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s